This project will only shift the bottleneck, not solve it. It runs against BCC's own feasibility advice (Feasibility Study 2009).
We the undersigned petition Brisbane City Council and the Qld Government (Hon Jackie Trad, Minister for Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning) to:
- Place a moratorium on resumptions of properties until there is real community consutation
- Guarantee protection of heritage listed Mowbray Park, home to Brisbane's oldest WWI memorial and the trees that are the backyard of our suburb
- Abandon the current designs of the Wynnum Road Corridor Upgrade and instead adopt a design that does not include more lanes but which includes:
- Targeted upgrades including dedicated right hand turn lanes and redesigning the Heidelberg Street and Riding Rd intersections
- Dedicated bus lanes and/or transit lanes and new high-frequency bus routes
- Separated bike lanes, pedestrian safety upgrades and additional/more convenient pedestrian crossings
We believe the current wholesale widening of the corridor is not the best way to spend ratepayers’ money and that our proposed alternatives will address traffic congestion concerns at a fraction of the cost of the current proposed plans.
Brisbane City Council’s plans will negatively impact upon residents in suburbs along the Lytton/Wynnum Road Corridor and are inconsistent with Council’s broad strategic goals of promoting walkable neighbourhoods, active transport and well-connected, liveable communities.